Polypropylene (PP) is usually considered safe for humans. It is considered the safest of all plastics; it is a robust heat-resistant plastic. Because of its high heat tolerance, it is unlikely to leach even when exposed to warm or hot water. It is approved for use with food and beverage storage. It can be re-used safely and used with hot beverages.
PP (Polypropylene) is very similar to polyethylene but has higher resistance to heat, which is why it is often used for food packaging and food storage bags and containers.
What is polypropylene (PP)?
Polypropylene (PP) is made by combining propylene monomers (a tasteless, colorless, odorless synthetic material). It has numerous different applications such as consumer packaging material, plastic hinges, waterproofing insulation, and more. It is considered a low-toxin, heat-tolerant material. This type of plastic is used for various applications related to human consumption, including straws, yogurt containers, bottles, and even medical devices.
The advantages of Polypropylene (PP) include:
- It is readily available and relatively inexpensive.
- It has high flexural strength because of its semi-crystalline nature.
- It has a relatively slippery surface.
- It is very resistant to absorbing moisture.
- It has good chemical resistance over a wide range of bases and acids.
- It possesses good fatigue resistance.
- It has good impact strength.
- It is a good electrical insulator.
The disadvantages of Polypropylene (PP) include:
- It has a high thermal expansion coefficient (marked increase in volume with temperature increase) that limits its high-temperature applications.
- It is susceptible to ultraviolet (UV) degradation.
- It has poor resistance to chlorinated solvents and aromatics.
- It is known to be difficult to paint because it has poor bonding properties.
- It is highly flammable.
- It is susceptible to oxidation
Avoiding any plastic is ideal because it not only poses risk to human health but also is harmful to the environment. However, if you must use products made with Polypropylene (PP), the risk of exposure is probably low.
Our recycled Polypropylene (PP) granules are 100% made from post consumer and industrial waste material. It’s packed in a 25kg durable brown paper sack with monthly capacity up to 30mt. Kindly contact us to find out more about our recycled Polypropylene granules.
Polypeth Ekspor Indonesia is a supplier and export recycled plastic pellets (HIPS & PP) from Indonesia. We work with plastic recycling manufacturers with years of experience to provide and ensure high quality & the safety of our recycled plastic pellets. Together we reduce the use of virgin plastic resin and reduce the waste of virgin plastic pollution.
To find out more about Polypeth Ekspor Indonesia’s products and services, speak to the team by clicking here.
Write a comment